Forum Navigation

Interested in learning to drive with a manual transmission

Interested in learning to drive with a manual transmission

Postby racecarlvr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:42 am

I am looking to learn to drive with a manual transmission. Are there any driving school in the Chicago area that would teach manual transmission driving or I have to actually sign up with a racing school to learn?
racecarlvr

Re: Interested in learning to drive with a manual transmission

Postby yoyojurkeu » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:09 pm

Driving stick is not that hard. Do you have a friend or a family that owns a stick car. Spending an hour on an empty parking lot should be enough for anyone with an average IQ. Good luck and do keep us posted.
yoyojurkeu

Postby playaet88 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:27 am

try looking for tutorials on manual transmission driving on youtube.
I remember my sister was also looking to learn driving stick shift and she came across lots of helpful videos online.
It should give you a great head start once you get your hands on a stick shift car.
Good luck!
playaet88

Postby ghasam87 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:15 pm

I have seen ads on craigslist regarding this. People who have older stick shift cars that are willing to rent it to you on daily/hourly basis.
See if you can find one that the owner is actually willing to teach you. It is not the best option but it is the cheapest when it comes to learning stick shift.
ghasam87

Postby kelikie » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:23 pm

You don't really need to go to driving school to learn stick shift, but you can. The best way is to find out if you have a friend that knows how to drive manual transmission and learn from them. It's a little bit easier because they can just show you and afterwards you can buy them lunch for their hardwork.
kelikie

Postby BellaUture » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Find an old buddy that has a manual transmission car and you should learn it in less than an hour.
BellaUture

Postby withoutroots » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:53 am

Driving school is not required but not a bad idea to learn from an expert on how to drive with a manual transmission. But, if you wanna go the self-taught route, youtube is definitely your friend. There's a BUNCH of video tutorials and written ones to learn about it. It's important to understand the underpinnings of how the engine works in regards to how you drive since you'll have a better understanding of why you would shift gears and other stuff. A little googleing will go a long way.
withoutroots

Postby FeryTew » Fri May 07, 2010 1:12 am

Just find a friend that has a car with a manual transmission and an empty parking lot. You should be OK with couple hours of practice.
FeryTew

Return to Driving Schools